Pickle Fork – What Are They?

Steven Spielberg

If you want to make thing easier, you should always make sure that you have the right tools for the job. If you are going to replace a u-joint, tie-rod end or a ball joint chances are you are going to need a pickle fork. You read that correctly. That is not a typo.

Why would an automotive tool have such a silly name? There are two kinds of pickle forks. The automotive tool just borrows it’s name for the actual one used in food serving. A pickle fork for food is a small fork that has two or more tines. It is used to remove a pickle from the jar without getting your hands in the pickle juice. An automotive pickle fork is much larger and it is used to remove tie-rod ends, ball joints, pitman arms and steering knuckles.

The tines on this automotive tool are tapered. They are thin at the end and get much thicker as they approach the handle. It acts like a wedge allowing you to remove one of these stubborn parts.

I prefer to get a kit. It will include everything that you need. Most kits consist of several different fork sizes that will interchange with two different handles.

If you do not have any air tools then you will use the handle made for a hammer. It is made from steel so it can take the abuse.Slide it in and hit it with a hammer until it is fully in place. Now you can use a heavier hammer and the pickle forks leverage to remove that stubborn part.

If you do have air tools most kits have a handle made just for an air hammer and you will be able to replace that worn out part fast and easy!

Next Post

The Boeing 720

DESIGN ORIGINS: The Boeing 720, closely resembling its 707 predecessor, but intended for slightly lower- capacity, intermediate-range routes, was the result of three concurrent commercial aviation forces. 1). Competition and hence fear of market share loss. 2). A realization that passenger acceptance of jet travel led to its demand on […]
The Boeing 720

You May Like

Subscribe US Now